Our talented faculty contributes resources and publications as they become available. When possible we will provide links that allow you to purchase or access these important resources.
by Serena Wieder, PhD and Harry Wachs, OD
Serena Wieder, PhD (Profectum’s clinical director and psychologist) redefines the building blocks of development and the challenges that derail a child’s functioning and learning. For Wieder, vision and space — what is seen by the eyes, transformed by the mind and experienced as movement, plays a crucial but heretofore underestimated crucial role in the development of a child’s thoughts and feelings. Co-author Harry Wachs, OD, a pioneer of developmental vision therapy, offers therapy focused on visual/spatial aspects of development supporting cognition. Based on decades of experience, Wieder and Wachs guide therapists and parents in interventions for use at home, school and therapy offices involving affect based DIRFloortime® approaches and other problem-solving experiences, addressing unrecognized challenges that often derail life competencies, learning and development. A new step-by-step manual presents tools to develop visual/spatial learning. This groundbreaking book changes the way parents and therapists understand child development and work to promote each child’s potential in meaningful ways.
The PLAY Project recently completed a three‐year multi‐site randomized controlled trial which showed improvements in both parent‐child interaction and autism symptomatology.
This large scale study focused on the impact of our autism intervention: a parent-mediated play and relationship focused program
Significant improvements in:
- Caregiver/parent and child interaction
- Social interaction of children with autism
- Social-emotional development of children with autism
- Autism symptomatology
- Improved parent stress and depression; and
- PLAY Project consultant fidelity. In other words, they were true to the PLAY Project model and delivered it as trained.
by Ricki G. Robinson, MD, MPH
For twenty years Dr. Ricki Robinson has been providing hope and help for children with autism spectrum disorders. Her integrative, strengths-based approach to treatment includes a thorough evaluation of your child’s medical, developmental, social, emotional, behavioral and educational issues to find the solutions that maximize your child’s health and well-being.
Autism Solutions gives parents a greater understanding of their child’s unique learning, sensory and medical profile. Recognizing that no parent can do this alone, Dr. Robinson explains how to establish a team of professionals who can work with the child to give him or her the opportunity to live well, learn, interact and thrive.
Autism Solutions covers a wide range of issues, including:
- Helping your child relate, communicate and think
- Recognizing and overcoming common health challenges
- Effectively treating diseases and disorders that frequently accompany autism
- Understanding how behavior can be a form of communication and how to “hear” what a child is telling you
- Unlocking your child’s full potential
by Sherri Cawn, MA, CCC-SLP
Sherri has forty years of clinical pediatric experience specializing in the assessment and treatment of infants, toddlers, and school-age children and is a leading practitioner of the DIR Floortime® in speech and language development .
This manual and companion DVD will enable readers to:
- Describe the main components of DIRFloortime® , including theory and practice
- Describe how DIRFloortime® provides insight and strategies for assessing and treating each child’s individual learning needs
- Identify and classify the stages of functional emotional development
- Examine the relationship between affect, sensory processing, and communication
- Discuss the importance of collaboration with the child’s family in all aspects of assessment and intervention
by Mona Delahooke, PhD
A groundbreaking resource for the field of early intervention. Full of clear, straightforward steps, guiding principles and useful techniques backed by neuroscience and research, Dr. Mona Delahooke provides practical methods so that all childhood providers can better support the social and emotional lives of children and families. Illustrated with worksheets, charts and handouts, this reader-friendly book will provide valuable tools to nurture relationships, measure progress, reduce child stress, address challenging behaviors and promote self-regulation.
- Proven and effective tools for children diagnosed with:
- Developmental and learning differences
- Communication and speech differences
- Sensory Processing Disorder
- Medical conditions
- Emotional or behavioral challenges